I now know how tedious it could be flying with toddlers as I just went through it all alone and 9 hours on flight is no joke. Also it’s not just the travel time that you need to be worried about but the whole process from check-in to check out. Luckily I did do a little research prior my travel on how to keep my little now entertained for few hours which is a life saver.
So here’s my top list of must haves while you travel with your toddler. Any of these items could keep them contained for a max of 15 mins post which you will have to keep alternating with a new one
1. Drawing board: I found mine at Harrods (in heathrow airport) and it costed me about 10 pounds. It’s worth every penny as the pen is attached to the board and you are saved from the strain of having to pick up the pen every time your kid drops it. And it also comes with a magic eraser that erases with just a swipe and a book attached to it. This kept my son busy for some time. I would definitely recommend it.
2. Stickers: I dint take with me a sticker book to reduce weight but just took some sticker sheets and my son whiled away time pasting it from one sticker pad to the other.
3. New Lego toys : buying new toys for the travel was a huge savoir as toddlers with the surprise element keeps them occupied for a while until they explore it and meddle with it till their hearts content.
4. Snacks : this comes handy when they become cranky. I opted for healthy snacks like dried carrots, apples, ellas fruit smoothies, banana rings and some chocolates to bribe him from crying. Avoid yogurt and dairy food as its prohibited to be carried while check-in and also it becomes a lot messier. Finger foods are the best and safe bet. In flight it’s more important to keep them settled and comfortable rather than trying to fill their stomach with their regular food. So less is more.
5. Co-passenger: striking a friendly conversation with your co passengers could come handy as they might come to your rescue in distracting your toddlers attention in case they whine. In my case my co passenger was very friendly that I was able to leave him with her for me trips to loo or a bottle refill. But thing to be noted is they are strangers and we must be doubly careful before you trust anyone with your kid.
6. Take off and landing: these are the two most stressful times for toddlers and this can be eased by letting them have a bottle of milk as sucking it calms them from the air pressure. Luckily for me my son feel asleep at both take off and landing.
These are few tips that worked for me, hope it might come handy to you. Please share any other tips that you might know of, that might help in my return trip.
I dint know that Today is Father’s day until I stumbled upon one of the blogs that had an article on Father’s Day. My dad had called me earlier today but I dint wish him, how could I when I don’t even know what’s today all about. I don’t really wish him on most Father’s Day. That’s me. So irresponsible!!!
Though I don’t really believe on dedicating days like this which I feel is just another gimmick of the marketing world, well there must be at least a day for remembering our dear ones and how much they mean to us and sharing with them the same. I always admired my dad and love him a lot. Being the only daughter I dint have to share my parents love with my siblings and I must say I am very fortunate to have such a cute caring parents. Here is a list of few things that I like to share about my dad.
- He is a very caring and loving dad
- He is my Hero
- He is a very soft person with an innocent smile
- He is a fun loving person who wishes to stay and look younger always
- He is a very sportive person and doesn’t worry about bygones much
- He hates reading books but can’t live without his morning newspaper
- He never says NO to me
- He is the one who taught me to ride my bicycle, my scooty, still trying to teach me car driving
- He bought a car since I told him I felt bad coming dressed in classical attire after my dance show in a bike home at my 11th grade.
- I remember dad asking me while I was alone one day, in my adolescent age, not to fight with my mom since she gets depressed. He loves her so much.
- He is my biggest strength and a very protective father
- He bought me two pups Juno and Spiky, aquarium, a parrot, love birds – all these against my mom’s wishes just because I loved animals a lot, which he now looks after on my behalf.
- He is very adjustive to the extent that he doesn’t complain much even if my mom cooks something very bad.
- He encouraged me to be independent when all my relatives were against him sending his only daughter to work.
- I remember my dad visiting my hostel and crying on his way back home on seeing his little princess living all by herself , in a small repugnant place leaving all comforts of home.
- I share my deepest worries with him, which I usually do not tell my mom as she gets restless and nervous. He is my pillar of strength at times of my miseries.
- He trusts me a lot
- He never restricts me and gave me all freedom I wanted, to become a better me.
- He is a person who would go to any extent to help me out.
- I wanted a life partner as good, loving, caring and protective as my dad.
- He said yes to the person I loved, to see me happy and live with the man I loved, since his was a love marriage, he knew what love really is
- He loves saying my childhood stories to my hub and relishing those days we spent together.
- I remember my Hub telling me once, Priya your dad is so amazing I fear I dont love you as much as your dad does. That day I couldn’t tell how much I wanted to thank my dad for the person he was.
- He loves travelling and is very conscious about his health.
- There’s not a single day till date that he has not called me over phone, right from the day I came to Chennai for my work.
- He used to boast about me to his relatives and friends
- He tries hard to perfect his English. Of late I heard he has subscribed to some English journal to converse with his future grandchildren.
- He has been my inspiration, my constant savior, my guide, my friend and I am what I am today because of you dad.
Love you so much dad and this post is a small surprise for you.